CIS Tax Returns

Do I Need To Complete a CIS Tax Return?

Are you a member of the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)? If you are, you need to make sure your monthly returns are correct and up to date. Failure to do so can result in you not getting what’s owed to you, or worse face penalties for incorrect filing.

To ease the burden on you TJ Whiffen will help you understand the process and complete the return for you to ensure compliance and maximum return.

We’ll make the process easy and do all the hard work for you by; registering for CIS, submit your monthly returns and advise what needs to be paid to HMRC.

What is CIS?

The Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) is where a contractor deducts money from a subcontractor’s payments and gives it to HMRC. This money counts towards the tax and NI paid by the subcontractor.

Do I Need CIS

You should be enrolled in the CIS scheme if:

  • You’re self employed
  • Work in the construction industry
  • You are a contractor or subcontractor (registration is different for each of these)
  • If you’re a subcontractor and don’t register for the scheme, deductions will still occur, but at a higher rate.

Contractor Services

If you are a contractor, handling the CIS returns for you subcontractors can get complicated and time consuming. We can take the burden from you, ensure accurate, and punctual returns.

For subcontractors, we will ensure that when it’s time to submit your tax return, it’s accurate and on time. Often through the course of the year CIS means you actually pay too much tax, we would make sure you get this tax back as a refund where eligible.

For Limited Companies registered as Sub Contractors we ensure that any CIS repayments are deducted from the Corporation Tax liability.